Sunday, March 28, 2010

Day 8 - The Birth of Astroboy

Although I have heard of Astro Boy in the past, I had never watched an episode until class on Monday. I didn't think I'd like it, but I found myself intrigued by the end of the episode. Astro Boy's dark content and use of music with movement is a unique style in a world of sugar-coated orthodox animation.

I love the darkness in The Birth of Astro Boy; the death of a child is an emotional and heartbreaking time clearly demonstrated through the crazed scientist that Tobio's father becomes. I like that Astro Boy's creator, Osamu Tezuka, tried to create realistic moments in an animated and futuristic world. Most orthodox animations follow the conventions of portraying a semi-realistic world, but when it comes to the unpredictable life moments we all experience, they are sugar-coated; Tezuka breaks this typical convention with the death of Tobio.

My favorite scene from the original episode is the mad scientist scene where Astro Boy is brought to life. The use of Beethoven's popular Symphony No. 5 in this scene is reminiscent of old horror films and adds a sense of urgency and anxiety to the room. The animation is drawn to reflect the song; the professor's body moves in time to the song and the buttons on his electronic panel light up according to the notes and pitches of Symphony No. 5.

1 comment:

  1. i have to agree that i liked the darkness to the cartoon because it was just different than from what was normally portrayed on tv when I was a kid. It is interesting to see the differences from Japanese cartoons to American cartoon.

    ReplyDelete