Sunday, February 7, 2010

Day 2 - The Wonderful World of Rosenwald

While surfing the web, I discovered a website of a versatile artist by the name of Laurie Rosenwald. She has a unique personal style that she has successfully demonstrated on her website through the creation of ads, books, paintings, a line of dish-ware, and animated short films. Her approach to animation combines collage and drawing to achieve an almost experimental style of animation.

Her collage techniques remind me of children's book author, Eric Carle. He wrote and illustrated some of the most beloved children's books of all time with a unique collage style of various colors of different found materials. Rosenwald's style is personalized by the use of scrap papers and magazine cutouts, whimsical drawings, and small objects to create a fantastical version of our "real world." Her animation is obvious and deliberate; for example, she creates stop-motion movement for her characters' mouths by taking small paper squares decorated with various drawings of the mouths and interchanging them.

Though her world is simplistic, it is full of beauty and tailored to her style -- thus, addicting. It's obvious Rosenwald enjoys what she does by her extensive portfolio. When I discovered the site, I sifted through every page of it, absorbing and analyzing her work. To understand the magic of her work, visit http://rosenworld.com and take a poke around. And here's a direct link to her animation: http://www.rosenworld.com/?page_id=914/

4 comments:

  1. It's interesting that you compared her work to Eric Carle because when I first looked at it I didn't really see the resemblance at all but the more a sifted through her work I began to see what you were talking. I still don't think I would have made that connection without you first commenting on it though. Another interesting thing I found about her work was how unimpressed I was at first glance. The more I looked though the more I began to see the beauty in what she does and thus, the addiction you speak of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was really cool, a lot of people do scrap books and keep memories that way. This actually made me start to search once again to see if one of my favorite films was on DVD format that was done with cut outs. I recommand looking up the movie Twice Upon A Time it was produced by George Lucas, this whole thing reminded me of that. Also the movie MirrorMask that a friend of mine introduced me to. This was pretty cool, and I never thought in the since that scrapbooking could be animated, but it really fun idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will definitely have to check those two movies out! Thanks for the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you!

    here are more recent links to my cartoons
    including a collaboration with david sedaris

    http://www.vimeo.com/6873914

    ReplyDelete